We get to say ‘OMG parenting’ with many different inflections. I know because I am a parent. Also, I have been looking into the faces of babies, parents, and grandparents for over 20 years in my work as a clinical and public health nurse. I have felt the joys, hopes, disappointments, traumas, grief, fears, concerns, laughter and love of parents and children. I have heard their thoughts and feeling. I have seen their actions and the effects of those actions. I have interacted with the myriad of professionals who weave in and out of family life. Because of this and being a parent, I have a great appreciation for the range of experience that exists within and between each parent and child.
DOWNLOAD the GUIDE 'Unlocking Your Child's Brilliance'
Parenting Q & A
If you have any questions, email me at ns@OMGparenting.com
People wonder why I stress stress management, #OMmoments, so much for parents. They KNOW they experience stress but isn’t that normal?
Yes, it’s normal to be stressed as a parent!
The brain has 5 frequency categories in which it operates. From highest to lowest, most exhausting to restful:
- Gamma – deep concentration – peak performance
- Beta – a tasks state- action and thought, multi-tasking oriented a la parenting
- Alpha – relaxation state – get there with relaxing tasks including aerobic exercise or playful activities
- Theta – a meditative state – when creative, intuitive, restful
- Delta – slow state – in deep sleep, deep meditation
You need OM Moments to get BELOW beta. This reduces stress hormones and our fight/flight/freeze responses. Otherwise, we get irritable, unable to focus, and problem solve because we’ve exhausted our mind (literally used up necessary brain glucose).